Browsed by
Category: Works in progress

Engine overhaul

Engine overhaul

We are almost done with the engine restoration process! Enjoy the photo report.

Engine: Ford Lehman 2712 E, 4-cylinder 4.15 l, 58.83 kW (~79 HP) at 2500 RPM
Transmission: Velvet Drive Model 10-17-010 with ratio 2.10:1, manufactured in Indiana, U.S.

Ford Motor Company Ltd manufactured 4 & 6 cylinder diesel engines to fit primarily into their Thames Lorries. The 4 cylinder diesel engines also fit into their Fordson tractors. Some of these engines were also fitted into rock crushers, harvesters, and other equipment by various manufactures around the world. The Dagenham engines were built in Ford of Britain’s engine plant in Dagenham, a suburb east of London, and the Dorset engines were produced just east of Dagenham at Ford’s plant in Essex.

Ford themselves did not produce a marine version of their engines until the Dover Series, however many Ford of Britain engines and a number of Ford licensed Spanish (EBRO) and Turkish (Ford Otosan) versions of these engines were marinised by third party companies or by individuals, and installed in various vessels, especially Asian Trawlers. Most all of these engines were factory new, but there were also a few used engines that had been taken out of trucks, tractors, harvesters, etc. and marinised.

Source: Absolutely Everything About Boats 

Prepare for Greece!

Prepare for Greece!

Big plan for the 2018 cruise has been published!

Find more on CRUISE

We will be sailing from Trieste along Croatian islands to Montenegro, then skipping Albania by a night passage to Corfù. Along Ionian Islands, around Peloponnesos peninsula up to Athens. Then circumnavigating the Aegean Sea in the clockwise direction, visiting Sporades islands, Dodecannesos islands and finally leave the boat in Kos for the winter. Find more…

The total length shall be over 2.200 NM and for such a cruise we must take the preparation seriously. Many incredible jobs are being done this winter. Let’s take a sneak peek to the workshop at some of them:

Major overhaul of the engine is under way. It has been taken out from the boat, totally dismantled to pieces, cleaned, refurbished and will be assembled soon again.

The galley gets a major refit too. New cooker, oven, working desk, drawers, bigger refridgerator, drinking water tap etc.

Anchor windlass received complete overhaul too, as well as the hydraulic steering system.

Watermaker (desalination unit) is being installed for a total independence on water sources. New black-water holding tank will be accompanied by a new toilet with electric flush. 

Rigging gets some attention too. The sail traveller has been installed to raise and hoist the mainsail with ease. Two new halyard winches are already on the mast. The others will undergo the annual cleaning. 

Woodworks on the deck will continue during the whole winter – three new benches and fixed folding table will be installed in the stern deck cockpit. Two new big hatches will improve the airflow to the single cabin and the galley. 

And the best to end up with – new full-batten sails are in production!

For further updates, subscribe to our newsletter in the right panel or follow us on our Facebook.

La Bum è pronta per le navigazioni estive

La Bum è pronta per le navigazioni estive

I lavori programmati per la sistemazione della opera viva e rifacimento degli impianti elettrici sono stati completati. Mancano i lavori di rigging per la sostituzione delle sartie che sono previstì entro la fine di luglio.

La Bum può comunque iniziare a navigare in piena sicurezza e comodità per l’equipaggio previsto di 5 persone.

Il prossimo nverno sarà dedicato ai lavori di falegnameria, alla nuova sistemazione dell’area cucina e allo sbarco del motore per una manutenzione accurata.

Di seguito alcune foto dei lavori fatti.

Ceiling can’t hold us

Ceiling can’t hold us

Spring works are underway! The new solar panels arrived, so we started to dismantle ceiling in the saloon to access and install the cabling. Unfortunately the ceiling was never thought to be removed, so we had to be a little bit destructive. 

After removing the soft ceiling cover we found the wooden plate above had been made all in one piece, and probably installed in the factory before assembling the walls. After discussing with almost everyone in marina we had no other option but to cut it into two pieces.

We were quite successful stripping the ceiling until we arrived to the searchlight passage in the front part. The wooden desk was attached by many layers of glue and resin, so we had to fight our way through. After dismantling the light we decided to not undergo complicated installation again and to buy new electronic searchlight.

Striping down the ceiling – Spherical Image – RICOH THETA

Anyways, the ceiling is completely removed now and the installation of solar panels can go on.

Stay tuned for next news!